Welcome to Camp Akeela! We are excited that you have chosen to (re)join our camp family. This handbook will help you prepare for camp. It’s updated each year; families of new and returning campers are encouraged to read it carefully.
There are many ways that we try to strengthen the Akeela community. We create an environment that encourages kindness, friendship, participation and acceptance – and we send clear and congruent messages to our campers and their families. To accomplish our goals, we need the support of both campers and their parents. The easiest and most important way that you, as parents and guardians, can help to foster the Akeela community is by adhering to our rules and policies and ensuring that your camper understands them as well. We thank you in advance for your assistance.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time with questions or concerns.
Yours in camping,
Debbie and Eric Sasson, Camp Directors
Family Handbook Table of Contents
- About Akeela & About CampGroup
- Camper Travel and Visiting Day
- Packing List & Baggage Shipping Information
- Purchasing Camp Clothing, Prohibited Items & Laundry
- Communication: Mail, Phone Calls & Parent Communication
- Health Care: Medications, Health Communication, Medical Charges, Other Health Concerns
- Food, Health and Wellness
- Electronics Policy
- Homesickness Prevention
- Success at Akeela
- Camper Code of Conduct
- Additional Activities and Trips
- “Open House” Orientation Day
- Driving Directions
One of the reasons we have made this Handbook available on our website, rather than sending it by snail mail, is that we can quickly make any necessary changes to it as we approach the upcoming camp season. Of course, we’ll keep enrolled families updated via emails and newsletters, but we also encourage you to check back here regularly as you prepare to send your camper to Akeela.