It’s time for the latest issue of Camp Akeela’s monthly newsletter! In this edition, we announce two exciting — and FREE — upcoming webinars for parents and professionals:
- October 29th: IEPs and Your Child’s Rights In the Time of COVID
With education attorney (and Debbie’s best childhood camp friend!) Nicole Joseph.
- November 15th: Tools and Strategies for Setting Limits and Providing Structure at Home
With Debbie & Eric Sasson and Elise Wulff from MHG Aspire
Information and registration here
Also featured is a reprint of our recent blog post about Chris Rock. As you may know, he recently announced is diagnosis of NLD, aka NVLD. In the blog, we discuss the complex question of diagnoses. On one hand, labels can’t ever define who we are as individuals. Indeed, at Camp Akeela, we don’t ask in the application process, nor pay much attention to, whether or not our campers have any particular diagnoses. On the other hand, Chris Rock’s story demonstrates the ways in which receiving a diagnosis can, for some people, be a way of better understanding themselves and their place in the world. When they help us better accept our exceptional differences and/or connect us with a larger community of people with similar life experiences, labels can be a wonderful thing!
Also in Akeela’s November newsletter:
- A schedule of upcoming virtual events for campers. Games Night is November 9th and Trivia Night is November 19th.
- More “Good News” from Akeela campers and alumni.
- November 10th is National Camp T-Shirt Day. Be prepared to put on your favorite Akeela swag and send us photos!