The latest edition of the Akeela VT Circular is here!
In this edition of our newsletter:
- Planners for parents/guardians and campers to help you get ready for camp
- A recap – and photos – of our Winter Weekend reunion
- Facility update and introduction to our new Site Manager
- Camper and Staff news updates
- A few introductions to 2020 senior staff members
You can also find this note from Debbie and Eric in the newsletter:
Greetings from wintery(ish) Philadelphia! Is it possible that it’s already February? This is the time of year that we start counting down the days until we’ll be back together in Vermont. We have been extremely busy meeting new Akeela families and welcoming them into our camp family. Meeting all of them leaves us feeling so lucky that we are a part of a community that is filled with interesting, funny, smart and kind people.
Speaking of kindness, February is “Kindness Month” and we wanted to talk about all of the ways we see kindness happen at camp every day. We also want to remind you that, even though you’re not with us in Thetford, you can continue to carry on the Akeela spirit of kindness at home. Here are some reminders and suggestions.
At camp, you were kind by:
- Pitching in with Dining Hall Duty for the good of the larger community
- Making an announcement at evening meeting about a friend who was helpful or successful
- Cheering on a friend who was climbing the rock wall
- Saying, “Nice job!” to a friend who won a game of GaGa
- Sending a letter home telling your family you’re thinking of them
At home, you can demonstrate your kindness by:
- Helping a sibling make his/her bed before school
- Inviting a classmate to join you for lunch
- Asking someone over to your house to hangout
- Calling a friend from camp to say hello
- Going to visit a camp friend
As you’ll read in the camper updates, many of you are getting together with your camp friends and that makes us so happy! It takes some work to maintain friendships – especially when you don’t go to school together. If you’re someone who doesn’t like talking on the phone, send an email! Tell your camp friend what you’re up to, what you’re looking forward to in the coming months and what you can’t wait to do when you’re back at camp this summer!
We’re excited to see you back on the shores of Miller Pond soon – time flies when you’re dreaming of camp!
Debbie and Eric