The newest edition of the Camp Akeela newsletter is here! In it, you will find:
- A quick recap of the results of our post-camp survey for parents and guardians.
- Updates from campers, including news & photos from recent get-togethers with camp friends, family vacations and accomplishments at school.
- Erin’s thoughts on her first summer at Camp Akeela. Spoiler: She loved it!
- The amazing results from the Akeela community’s fundraising efforts for CampLauncher. Our Launch-A-Thons raised over $22,000 for the charity.
- Reflections on our new ICON (In Camp OverNight) program, which was a smashing success.
- A reminder to put some Akeela swag on your holiday shopping lists.
- Staff updates, including a bunch of mini reunions and news of Erin’s recent engagement!
To preview the survey results, here are a few comments that came from Akeela parents:
Akeela fulfilled all of our hopes and dreams — it was just what we were looking for! She found the place where the other kids and the staff “get” her and she can’t wait to go back!
He is more confident and more independent. He has new ways to express his needs and how he feels. He has a better sense of who he is and who he wants to be.
He had a remarkable experience. From my point of view, as a parent who did sleepover camp for over ten years and then worked on staff, I really wanted him to have the kind of life-changing experience I did. Finally we found a place where he can.
And here are a few improvements that we’re already working on, as a direct result of feedback we received in those parent surveys:
- We will be partnering with a different medication packaging service.
- We will be sending home more information about camper’s in-cabin counselors and specialists just prior to, or at the start of, the camp session.
- We’ll provide more options for how parents and guardians receive communication from their camper’s Head Counselor during the summer.